I have had Tillie for four years now, and have put off changing the interior, as it was all very nice and desirable being the original specification.
After my last trip out, when the fridge door fell off, and Tarq fell through the middle of the bed into a heap on the floor, I decided to bite the bullet and change her.
The original cooker barely worked, the fridge was a plastic shelf only, I never used the sink (I do wash tho, honest) and the bed being three quarter size, accommodated the fat labrador fine, but left me no room whatsoever.
The buddy seat was always empty (I have no buddies)
And so with gritted teeth, I dived in and started to remove the entire inside. After 3 minutes 20 seconds I hit a problem. The second bolt wouldn't come out. Wanting to go female and turn into howling foetal position, and squealing 'why are my blokes all shit at man stuff'. I put my testicles back on, and drilled the bloody thing out
Eventually Tillie was bare and exposed. Everything appeared to be fairly solid under her clothing. Apart from 2 rather large holes where the seat belts were fixed. Or not fixed as was the case.
|Ventilation wasn't an issue|
A trip to the welder and a request to fix the two holes and a small check of the front bumper (as advised by Mr MOT).
It was quite amusing to see the comments on facebook the next day, from the welder.
Oblivious to the fact I may actually read his facebook page, it appears perhaps the small hole in the bumper wasnt so small....
And so I had my blank canvas....and no idea what next.
Having never had a working fridge, and not really keen on sticking portaloos in it to make it a portable toilet, I went with my basic requirements:
I needed a full width bed, a decent kitchen, and that was about it. Sleep and food, and I'm happy.
And so the planning began...bits of paper thrown everywhere, scribbles, doodles, my own brand of shorthand, that is so quick and efficient, but even I cant understand it. Google was my friend, along with facebook groups 'camper conversion', ' self build vans' , 'I'm not right in the head, taking this on', and 'how the fk do i mend my bodge job', I also got round to creating my own pinterest board, Tillies conversion.
|Luxurious covers off|
So the old green covers came off (I was a bit heart broken about this, and still had regrets about what I was doing, until i looked at them, battered and sun bleached, and realised they weren't actually made from fabric that was hand dyed, stamped and woven from a gossomer flies testicles)
|New covers finished|
Not so proud when some Aussie commented 'It looks like a clown has exploded' :(
|If ever you are short of a trestle, get a labrador|
....'so that's 30cm, by 2ft, by 1m, by 18 inch, plus just over the length of my hand, then'...
|Before...Help me, Teddy|
|And the bed frame is made!|
|Girly stuff, added|
shades (from a vile yellow orange, to a more stripped back basic finish), my pallet cupboard was taking shape
|Perfect, apart from the extra 2cm|
|Marking it down for sawing|
|Arghhhh, its orange now|
|From the basic core.....|
|Starting to take shape finally! Trimmed, waxed, cooker inserted, and random tiles added|
Electrics were next. Not having a whole shed load of confidence, and not wanting to get fried, I took a whole album of gorgeous pre-wired rcd unit pictures. When dementia kicks in, I will look at these wistfully, and think 'what the hell are these for?'
|Sockets & Lights fitted|
12v was the next task, after 3 years I finally have a radio, usb ports, all mod cons (apart from power steering and brakes)
A few removable hinges, and it was finished
On the home run now, so finally time to do the girly stuff, adding curtains & cushions
|Home sweet home|
|Finally, a full size bed.|
|Where to, next?|
A few last additions - Making an extension for the table
And an awning
.......Don't Forget meeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
A couple of last minute additions of wire cages for the lamps (bumpy roads were knocking the bulbs about a bit)
And a last minute storage holder, so I don't sleep on top of my phone...
And still not over....you think there's nothing else and then...ooh perhaps a cover for the cooker, to protect it
That must be it...definitely finished...nothing else...oooooh, how about a fly screen curtain...
So some coffee sacks, random picture cut out of fabric, and a few hours applique!
|Don't look too closely at the owl....|
|From the interior, looking out|
|Mum, this is so boring....|
Still adding bits as usual, and decided the roof looked a bit grim.. So using the leftover spray adhesive from the carpet liner, I cut and glued some fabric. Bit more insulation for her
And it never ends....obsessed with making random rubbish, i am now putting stuff up, then changing it 5 minutes later....I think I need another project..
We started with crochet bunting...
Then moved onto polar bears.....